What is massage therapy?
Massage is manipulation of the soft tissues of the body to promote healing and relaxation.
How is massage therapy helpful?
- provides an alternative health option to alleviate soft tissue distress
- encourages muscle health with increased circulation, passive stretch and drainage of toxic waste products
- encourages body relaxation to reduce stress
- separates matted muscle fibres for increased range of motion
- decreases inflammation
- improves general health
For what conditions is massage therapy effective?
- Sports injuries
- Stress related disability
- Post injury rehabilitation
- Symptomatic management of many chronic painful conditions, e.g. fibromyalgia, arthritis
- Neck and shoulder tension
- RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)
Massage therapy is regulated provincially by the Regulated Health Professions Act and governed by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario. Massage Therapists have completed 2200 hours of study and a provincial licensing examination.
Massage Therapists are trained in Swedish Massage. Many are also qualified in complementary massage techniques.